After eating such a big breakfast, we couldn’t go back home. That would have meant that we’d probably fall asleep watching TV having our stomach’s so full. Instead we decided to go to the only two stores that were opened. … Continue reading
Lately I’ve been kind of lazy. Perhaps is the proximity of my spring break. Maybe I’m just plain lazy…I was wondering what to have for lunch yesterday. I didn’t feel like cooking much, so I just looked around the pantry and fridge to see what I had. I discovered some fusilli which I had left from the first week of the Jamie Oliver Challenge, half a pack of tomato sauce and feta cheese. I decided to make some pasta adding a Mexican touch, so I went to get some of my jalapeño peppers as well. Additionally, I felt like eating some turkey sausage so I grabbed it as well.
I started cutting and working on a super delicious lunch (says me, but am I a good judge for my own food? mmmm, I do accept when something comes out completely wrong). I was really satisfied with the look of it at the end. The reddness of the sauce made the plate inviting, and the smell… oh the smell! I immediately took a photo because I felt like sharing this new invention. Then, I grabbed my plate and sat in front of the TV to have my yummy pasta. It turned out to be delicious!! The tomato sauce and feta cheese had almost blended to make a light red sauce. The added italian spices gave it a nice touch. The jalapeño peppers were still crunchy so they added flavor and texture. And the sausage… well it added up to all the goodies I added…
Here’s the recipe…
What you’ll need:
1/2 medium onion chopped
125 mL (4 oz) tomato sauce
half jalapeño pepper chopped
70 g (2.5 oz) feta cheese in small chunks
1 turkey sausage sliced
2 table spoons olive oil
salt and pepper
dash of basil, oregano and thyme
1/4 teaspoon of Maggi sauce (or any kind of meat sauce)
OMG! almost forgetting!!!
100 g (3.5 oz) of fusilli pasta (or any kind you like)
Hot to play,
1. Cook the pasta as specified in the pack or until al dente
2. While your pasta is getting cooked prepare the rest of the ingredients.
3. Once the pasta is done, drain the water, keeping some of it in case your sauce is too thick, and live the pasta on the drainer.
4. On a hot pan, add the oil and immediately the onions. Cook until transparent. Add the sausage and stir until slightly browned. Incorporate the chopped jalapeño pepper and stir for a minute or two. Add the tomato sauce and cheese and stir. Add salt and pepper to taste and a dash of the other spices.
5. Toss the pasta in the pan and mix well. Add a little of the cooking water if you think your sauce is too heave.
6. Serve, add some freshly grated parmesan and enjoy!
If you like it, please tell me about it!!
© mylunchanddinner 2012
This was the second week of the Jamie Oliver Challenge. We were happy to make the book’s second recipe since the Broccoli Orecchiette had turned out so delicious. This week we planned a bit ahead, not enough though because I … Continue reading